We are deeply grateful for the opportunity to provide jobs that are in alignment with cooperative values and principles.
Full-time General Manager:
The Good Tern Natural Foods Co-op is seeking a cooperatively-minded leader to serve as our General Manager. We are a 35 year-old natural foods retail cooperative with over 1,000 members located in Rockland, Maine. Our values are based on democratic and sustainable principles. We have a strong commitment to supporting local producers, carrying a wide range of organic and eco-friendly products, and value our working member system. Our staff and membership are committed to healthy foods, customer service, and cooperative ideals. We have experienced steady growth over the last decade and expansion is expected in our future. The General Manager will be responsible for all hiring and supervision of Good Tern staff and reports to the Board of Directors.
- Oversee all store operations, including a staff of 20.
- Develop a budget, direct all financial operations, and report to board on financial performance.
- Hire, supervise, and develop staff with a focus on positive reinforcement and empowerment.
- Conduct regular performance evaluations for staff.
- Implement a margin strategy with a goal of being price competitive while maintaining sufficient net income to support living wages.
- Develop a marketing strategy to increase awareness of the co-op’s offerings.
- Partner with the Board to develop a strategic plan focused on expansion of the co-op.
- Ensure a welcoming and well-maintained store environment.
- 2 – 5 years experience managing a cooperative, natural foods store, or similar business environment.
- Knowledge of strategic planning, budgeting, pricing, margins, and product merchandising.
- Experience working with a Board of Directors under policy governance.
- Proven ability to build and lead a team through effective situational leadership.
- Personal and professional values that align with cooperative principles.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency using QuickBooks, Excel, Word, Windows, and a POS system.
- Knowledge of the natural food industry, current trends in natural food co-ops, and local food systems.
- A genuine interest in creating a meaningful, fun place to work where people grow, learn and change. We want our staff to be happy, feel nurtured, and be heard.
This is a full-time, salaried position. Interested candidates should send resumes to the Good Tern Board of Directors (firstname.lastname@example.org).